HEREin for another WhatsApp guide on how to restore deleted Whatsapp conversations on your iPhone/Android/Blackberry/ Windows Phones.
WhatsApp provides you with the option to backup and transfers your chat conversations in an easy way but what if you accidentally delete them altogether and wish you could get them restored again? For most device owners using WhatsApp its possible. All they have to do is to uninstall the application once and then re-install it. Once they do, they have to choose the option of restoring the message history.
This is all it takes but there are several pointers that need to be followed when going through the process.
Restoring Deleted Backups: Points to Remember
WhatsApp takes an automatic backup of chat conversations daily, storing them on the Android device’s microSD card.
When pursuing a restore of older WhatsApp messages or ones that have accidentally got deleted, remember to cover pointers given here.
- Ensure that the file manager is loaded onto the device. This app allows renaming of backup files so that there is no name overlap between the current and old backups.
- File managers like Android File Manager, ASTRO file manager or AndroZip File manager are available at Play Store to download. Locate them using this link.
- To not lose the current history of the latest messages, first create a manual backup using path: WhatsApp > Menu > Settings > Chat Settings > Backup conversations.
- Rename and save the manual backup file ‘msgstore.db.crypt’ that gets stored on /Sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases folder as ‘msgstore.db.crypt.current’.
Steps to Restore Deleted WhatsApp Conversations
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Choose the backup file required to be restored.
- Rename this file from its current name ‘msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt’ to ‘msgstore.db.crypf.
- Install WhatsApp.
- Tap on ‘Restore’ for restoring the file.
For make a revert of the restoration you only have to rename the backup file from ‘.crypt.current’ suffix to ‘.crypt’ and go through the steps once again.
In regard to restoring backups that are old, remember that history of current chats get lost on restoration and backup files remain saved only for a week from their last save.
Also you cannot restore any new messages that are sent or received after backup is made and which are deleted before next backup.